Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Booze and The Bible...

This is one issue I have dealt with over and over again since I was a child. You see, I grew up a conservative, fundamental Baptist and one of the things conservy/fundy Baptist don't do is drink alcohol. (We don't dance or chew or go with girls who do but that's an issue for another day!) And yet I saw my parents drink and when you're a kid, what your parents do is okay.

It was years later that I saw what alcoholism can do to a person and a family. Fortunately for my family, my Dad stopped drinking. And for many years, my sister and I didn't drink and my brother drank but not around Dad. Now, older and a bit more mature, my sister and I imbibe in the occasional adult beverage. For me, personally, the limit is one.

Why one? Because, as I explained to one of my co-workers a couple of years ago when she tried to convince me to have another beer as the beer was free until 7 p.m., if I have two, I'll have three. And if I have three, I'll have six. And if I have six, I'll have...you get the picture. I know my limitations and I respect them. I don't drink to get drunk as I did in my early 20's. I drink now for the experience of a well-crafted brew.

But others have broached the subject much better than I. Here a two links to active articles on the web regarding Christians and drinking. The last link is to The Wittenburg Door's website where you can back-order The Alcohol Issue. One of the best, straight forward takes on alcohol to come along at the time. I used it as fodder for a couple of Sunday School lesson with the high schoolers I was teaching years ago. They got it.

Here are the links and cool picture!

Dr. Bacchus on Alcohol

Free Beer! WWJD?

The Door's Alcohol Issue



I'll leave you with some quotes from the "FREE BEER" website...

"If a man knows that he has a weak head and that he cannot carry 3 glasses of wine without being overcome, and then drinks indiscreetly, is he not a hog?" - John Calvin


"Men can go wrong with wine and women. Shall we then prohibit and abolish women?" - Martin Luther


"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI


(That last one had me rolling on the floor laughing me arse off!!)

Eric

2 comments:

Retardo said...

I love that last quote. I actually live not far from Middleton, WI.

Eric said...

LOL...yup...snickered, then guffawed, then chortled...

Excellent quote!

Eric