Friday, April 11, 2008

Dear God

How do you pray? Do you bow your head and close your eyes? Maybe make a little steeple with your hands like you were taught in Sunday School? Do you cry? Do you sigh? Do you rant and rave and shake your fist? Do you cling to the verse that tells us that the Holy Spirit intercedes for us with groanings?

Yes....I do. Have. Will continue to do.

We're taught to "go into your closet and pray". The 77's sang about it in a song called "Pray Naked". But we've become a rather vouyeristic society due in part to the internet and a general acceptance of airing everything we feel. So we post it on the web at DearGod.net.

I'm torn by what I read. I can commiserate, empathize and agree but part of me says we should do this in private. It helps me to realize that others are going through the same things I am but I sense a bit of whining in the posts. As if God is supposed to make everything all right. That if I post it on-line, I can let it go...for now. I sense that maybe someone will, later on, complain that, "God...I prayed. I poured my concerns out. I'm a Christian. And you didn't answer! What's up with that???"

Why do they do that? They're waiting for the big announcement. The neon lights. The lightning strike.

But they miss the still, small voice. God wasn't in the wind. He wasn't in the earthquake. He wasn't in the ruckus, the shouts, the ado. He was in the stillness of the air. He whispered in my ear and the cares of the world, the noise of life, the concerns of self drowned him out...

Dear God..."for your names sake, forgive my sins for they are great."

Eric

No comments: