Monday, February 27, 2006

Shades of Catholicism....

...or if my Baptist friends could see me now!

About a year ago I catechised myself. That is, I went through the Westminister Shorter Catechism. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It reminded what I truly believe about the Bible and what I truly think is man's interpretation of the Bible and what I remember my Baptist upbringing alluding to the catechism as being "too Catholic"! Ha!

One of the funnies things I heard was Mike Warnke's tape on being raised Baptist then going to a Catholic foster home. (I know...Warnke's a fraud but he was still funny!) He poked fun not only at Catholics but anal-retentive Baptists. For so long I looked down at Catholics, seeing them as fallen so far away from what Christ wanted for the church. From what Paul and Peter and James told us how Christians should live.

I'm finding that some of the things Catholics do aren't Mary-worshipping-mumbo-jumbo. I'm finding some fun in the Christian Year. I'm discovering new ways to see God in His word and His creation. I'm beginning to think that stain glass windows are the bomb! (Can you still say 'the bomb' or is that so 20th Century??)

Anyways, one of the things I'm am embarking on is going to be Lent. Giving up something for 40 days? No. Not just giving up something for 40 days. I'm going to use this time of Lent, between Ash Wednesday and Easter, to make some sacrifices to help me focus more on Christ. For me, I'm skipping lunch. I know, that's a standard thing but lately, I've been eating more, craving more food, wanting more and more to eat. I've put back on 7 pounds in the last 7 weeks. I don't like it.

But the fast is going to be more than a weight loss program. I intend, when the growlies start, to, at first, pray. A quick prayer for whatever pops into the old head. I hope to move on to reading a Psalm. My St. James Daily Devotional Guide for the Christian Year (http://www.touchstonemag.com/frpat.html) has two readings from Psalms every day. I usually read the morning one but forgo the evening Psalm. I intend to read that evening Psalm when the growlies come.

So that's my plan. Maybe God and I will re-connect on a different level. Maybe He can cut through some of my anger. Maybe He can cut through some of my despair. Maybe He's the light at the end of the tunnel instead of the train I think is coming down the tracks, aiming right for me.

That's my plan...and you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men...I think James had something to say about that!

Eric

No comments: