Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Why?

"Why God? Why all this stuff I, we've gone through?"

"Because."

"Because why?"

"Because I am God."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"What's what supposed to mean?"

"What's 'Because I am God' supposed to mean? I mean, what kind of answer is that? I know you're God and God does what God does for a reason. I'm looking for the reason?"

"Hmmm...I have many reasons. But the answer to your question is, 'Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answer?'"

"What kind of Professor X answer is that!"

"I am God. I do what I want to do because I am God. Look Eric, You don't get to know everything that I know. If you knew everything that I know then you'd be God and while God is great and God is good, God you'll never be. It's a mystery. You like mysteries. You read a ton of them!"

"Yeah, but at the end of the book, I get to find out the 'why'!"

"I know...isn't it great!"

"Wha..."

"And does it always make sense? When the writer gives you his or her explanation? Or do you sometimes wonder whether they've lost their touch?"

"Arguing with you is never fun."

"On the contrary. I enjoy talking with My children. Not all of them take the time out to talk with me. Most ask and run. Many plead and beg and barter but never fulfill. Many curse at me, rant at me, rail at me. Why...you've done that haven't you?"

"Uh...yeah."

"And...?"

"The end result was you were still there, silently taking it all."

"Right. And did you always get an answer?"

"Sometimes."

"Look. It's a mystery. I didn't tell Job did I? Did I? No. And have you lost all? Job. Home. Children. Respect?"

"......"

"I'll take your silence to mean 'no'."

"......"

"Have I ever let you down? Have I ever left you forsaken? Hungry? Unclothed? Unfed?"

"No."

"Did I not provide you with a home, a wife, children, a livelihood, skills, talents, ambitions, discernment? Did I not save you, Patrick and Patti from smacking the ground? Well?"

"Like I said, arguing with you is no fun."

"Sarcasm...it has it's uses...just not here, not now. Remember, I am God. The last group of people who trifled with me have been in a constant state of war with their neighbors for millenia!"

"Uh...right. Sorry."

"Good."

*heavy sigh*

"I take it from your sigh that you are at least willing to concede that I am and have the right to remain, a mystery at times? That what I do I do according to My will? That My will is, after all, My will and being God I get to do whatever My will wants and My will wants what's best for My creation."

"Yes."

"Good...now go out and play today. No more sitting by the computer! It's sunny and you have errands to run."

"Okay."

"Okay."

"Okay."

"I get the last word Eric. I am God remember?"

"....."





Eric

No comments: