Saturday, June 04, 2005

Maytag Repairman

I am the only one in the office today...my boss/co-pilot is at his kids soccer games. Two games and two post-season parties. He calls me and says he's "on-call" if anything happens.

Great!

I coulda snaked me another long weekend. But my schedule shifted from Sat/Sun off to Sun/Mon off for fire season...which doesn't start until the 15th. Oh well...I did score some overtime last Monday.

What is it with women and motorcycles? I've only met a few women (barring chopper chicks) who enjoy riding and/or don't mind if their husbands do. It's not like I'm going to abandon my family for roadtrips every weekend. I see it as an economical and fun way to get around in the warmer months. Some women see it as juvenile, macho, Peter Pan-complex behaviour. It's also on my list of things to do before I die...own my own motorcyle. I've had others before but they belonged to roommates.

I guess if you've never ridden you won't understand the feeling riding a motorcycle. It's not just any one thing. It's not just the wind pressing against your body. It's not just having 1400cc's of power under your butt controlled with a flick of your wrist. It's not just the physical sensations of acceleration; of the centrifugal force as you are pulled through a turn; the adrenaline rush at going from a standstill to 60 mph in a few seconds. It's not just the particular kind of freedom you feel when you are by yourself, astride on your steel steed, letting the world fade away in the rear-view mirror.

No...it's all of that and a bag of chips!

Maybe she'll understand someday.

Eric ;)

No comments: